Sleep really is your most important tool in staying healthy and happy – as well as effectively fighting aging. As we celebrate World Sleep Day on 17 March 2023, we chatted to the Founder of Sloom – the only comfort adjustable memory foam mattress in South Africa. They’ve recently launched the biggest bed in SA – The Cape Town King – so we’d say they know sleep…very well. Rudo Kemp, founder of Sloom, listed the top 5 things you need to look out for when investing in your mattress.
“We often find that consumers don’t want to spend so much money on a mattress, but the reality is, we spend more on technology – which actually inhibits us from having a good night’s rest. We need to be more mindful about supporting our sleep patterns with high-quality products such as a memory foam mattress which you will have for 10 years; whereas a phone you’ll have for 2. My goal is to encourage more people to see the value of quality sleep and caring for themselves – it is the highest level of self-care you can do for yourself…and your family.” says Rudo.
- Memory Foam Mattress: Memory foam moulds to your body in response to pressure, evenly distributing body weight, allowing every(body) to be taken care of when laying down to rest. This type of memory foam also offers incomparable durability and longevity.
- Adjustable, personalised, comfort: Not every(body) is the same and that applies to your sleep environment as well. Some bodies prefer more support than others – may it be to weight, age or personal preference. Sloom – with their split comfort offering – allows each individual to adjust their preferred comfort through their technological-foam-layer-concept. You simply unzip the cover, adjust the layers to meet your needs and zip it closed. Voila!
- Cool Room and Mattress: “I know foam!” laughed Rudo. “I used to be a Manager at a foam factory years ago and learned every single thing there is about it. We use next-generation foam that has major improvements in better airflow, longevity and durability compared to your traditional foams used in the industry.” says Rudo.
- Natural Fabrics: Cotton is a natural fabric which allows for breathability and better temperature regulations giving a cooler night’s rest. “Look for cotton products that comply with the BCI (Better Cotton Initiative) which means the cotton is responsibly sourced; supporting both the communities whilst protecting and restoring the environment.” says Kemp. “We have just launched our very own BCI Bedding Sets including duvet covers with pillow cases, fitted sheets and a mattress protector. We even took it one step further and custom made bedding for the Cape Town King as you cannot find the bedding anywhere else.” he adds.
- Buy it online and try it out: Innovative companies such as Sloom offer you the opportunity to buy, try and keep your bed without ever leaving your house. Gone are the days where you have to awkwardly try out each bed in a store with 30 people watching you. You can now click, pay, receive your bed – in a box – within days. Sloom also offers a 100 night trial – if you hate it, you can send it back for a full refund.