By Steenberg Executive Chef Kerry Kilpin
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
150g pancetta, cubed
200g risotto rice
200ml dry wine
250g assorted mushrooms, sliced
500ml vegetable or chicken stock
2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
125g parmesan, grated
20g parsley, chopped
10-15ml truffle (or to your taste)
1. Sweat your onions and garlic with the butter in a pot for about 2 minutes.
2. Add the cubed pancetta and cook for a minute. Add your rice, cook for a further minute until the rice starts to go translucent on the outsides. Add the sliced mushrooms.
3. Add the wine and allow the wine to cook off and rice to absorb all the liquid.
4. Add enough stock to cover the rice. Cook on medium heat.
5. After a further 2 minutes add rosemary and top up with stock.
6. Throughout the cooking process you will add stock and stir from time to time.
7. You need to keep your risotto moist at all times.
8. If you run out of stock and your rice isn’t cooked, top up using water.
9. Once your rice is about 2 minutes off from being cooked, add the parmesan, butter, truffle oil and parsley and allow to melt and season to taste.
10. Serve with a glass of Steenberg Nebbiolo.