Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 14 minutes
4 large Portobello (big brown) mushrooms, cleaned and stalks removed
(see optional extras below)
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
* Grilled bacon
* Wilted garlic spinach – chop the mushroom stalks removed from the Portobello (big brown) mushrooms above and sauté in olive oil and butter until browned. Add a clove of crushed garlic, cook for 30 seconds, then add a washed 200g bag of baby spinach leaves. Cook, stirring often, until wilted.
* Salad of diced tomato, cucumber, peppers and coriander in a vinaigrette made from 1tbsp fresh lime juice and 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil, seasoned to taste.
1. Rub the Portobellos with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Place on a medium-hot braai, gill-side down, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
2. Flip the mushrooms and then carefully break an egg into each. Allow to cook for another 5-7 minutes, until mushrooms have grill marks and eggs are cooked to your liking.
3. Serve topped with grilled bacon, wilted garlic spinach or salad, if you like.