Comfort food, made from scratch. This creamy carrot and tomato soup freeze beautifully!
Ingredients (8 servings)
• Dairy free option: skip the Parmesan
and use coconut milk instead of cream
or half and half
•8 large carrots peeled and sliced
• 6 large juicy tomatoes, diced (or place
in food processor)
• 3 cloves garlic minced
• 1 yellow onion chopped
• 1 tablespoon brown sugar
• 1/3 cup cream or half and half or
coconut milk if you are dairy free
• Rind of Parmesan cheese skip if you are
• 2 teaspoons Herbs de Provence
• ¼ – ½ tsp cayenne pepper
depending on how much of a
kick you want
• Pink Himalayan salt and
pepper to taste
• 4 tablespoon butter
• ½ cup freshly grated
Parmesan cheese (for
• Packaged crispy onions
• Olive oil
- Place the sliced carrots, 2T butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in large
stock pot and sauté on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion and another tablespoon olive oil and sauté for
five more minutes. Vegetables should now be soft.
- Add minced garlic, sugar, Herbs de Provence and tomatoes.
- Cut the rind off a Parmesan wedge, place rind in center of soup
mixture. The rind will not dissolve and will be removed later.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 25 minutes.
- Remove rind with a large spoon and discard.
- Place tomato carrot mixture in blender or use a hand
blender to blend till smooth. Depending on the size of
your blender, you may need to divide to blend.
- Place a screen colander over large bowl.
- Using a soup ladle scoop three ladleful’s of soup
into screen colander, then use the back of the
ladle to push soup through the screen,
straining out all the skin and seeds. Do not
skip this step!
- Discard the solids and repeat till all soup
is strained. Return strained soup
to pot, add cream, cayenne
- Salt and pepper to taste.
To serve pour into bowls and top with
Parmesan and crispy onions.