30ml vegetable oil
1 cinnamon stick
1 onion, sliced into rings
2-3 curry leaves
20ml curry powder
5ml ground turmeric
10ml fresh ginger, grated
10ml fresh garlic, crushed
1kg white button mushrooms cut into quarters
10ml garam masala
fresh coriander for garnish
1 loaf white bread
- Pierce tomato skins once or twice with a sharp knife and plunge them into boiling water for a few minutes, drain and remove the skins. Cut into dice. Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes. Set aside with the tomatoes.
- Heat the oil and add the cinnamon stick, onion and curry leaves. Fry until the onion is light golden brown in colour.
- Add the curry powder, turmeric, ginger, garlic and tomato. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mix resembles a puree.Add the potatoes, lower the heat and simmer until the potatoes are almost cooked.Keep an eye on it to make sure the bottom of the pot does not burn. (Add a dash of water if needed).
- Add the mushrooms and simmer for about 10 minutes. Once the mushrooms are done, add the garam masala. Test for seasoning and add salt if necessary. Simmer for a further few minutes on a low heat.
- Take a fresh loaf of white bread and halve it. Scoop out the soft white inside, leaving the crust to form a ‘bowl’. Spoon the curry into the half loaf and serve, garnished with coriander leaves. The soft insides can be dipped into the curry and eaten as well.