As the world has become more aware of toxic skincare products in recent years, more consumers find themselves consciously looking for alternative – and safer – products that are free from chemicals, fragrances and nasties.
As a result, clean beauty has fast become a buzzword in the skincare industry; however, what exactly constitutes ‘clean’? Dr Hennie Roos, Co-Founder and Chief Scientist at Thoclor Labs, says, “Simply put, clean beauty refers to skincare products that include nontoxic and noncontroversial products that are proven safe and effective to both human, and environmental, health.”
Clean beauty does not have to be eco-friendly, organic, or all-natural but there are non-negotiables which include non-toxic ingredients and transparent, clear labels. If you are looking to opt for a cleaner beauty regime, as a start, be sure to avoid the following ingredients in your skincare products:
Top Ingredients to Avoid¹
- Parabens – Potentially lead to hormonal imbalances, and possibly even breast cancer.
- Fragrance – Allergens, endocrine disruptors, and irritants.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate – Foaming agents that can cause skin irritation or trigger allergies.
- Toluene – Chemical commonly found in nail polish and hair dyes; can be toxic to the immune system and can cause birth defects.
- Phthalates – Endocrine disruptors and can cause hormonal and reproductive problems and birth defects.
- Polyethylene Glycol – Used is many types of cosmetics as a thickener, especially in lotions, shampoo, and sunscreen; a carcinogenic agent that has also been linked to respiratory problems.
- Formaldehyde – Known carcinogen that is also linked to asthma, neurotoxicity, and developmental toxicity.
- Oxybenzone – Found in sunscreen, SPF lotions, lip balm, and makeup; known endocrine disruptor and has been shown to alter thyroid function.
- Diethanolamine – Known carcinogen and respiratory toxin (often abbreviated as DEA on labels).
- Triclosan – Contributes to antibiotic resistant bacteria and is also an endocrine disruptor.
Thoclor Labs, a biotech company dedicated to blending the powers of medical science with the miracles of nature, proudly offers clean beauty products through their GF Skin Series skincare range. GF2 Skin Rejuvenation, which only has TWO ingredients, water and a sterile solution of Hyphochlorous Acid is not only one of the purest forms of skincare but also a must-have in your winter clean beauty regime, as it effectively halts inflammageing, and stimulates a reversal of environmental damage on the skin, ensuring true rejuvenation with continuous use.
The GF2 skin range is cruelty free, vegan, sulphate free, SLS free, silicon free, hypo-allergenic, pesticide free, contains no phthalates and no mineral oil. Something extremely hard to find in today’s skincare products.
For more information, and to view the full range of clean beauty products available from Thoclor Labs, visit www.thoclor.co.za.